Why this blog?

It's a vehicle for me to express and develop my thoughts, feelings, views and ideas.....publicly!
My photo
Singapore City, Singapore
An 'around the world honeymoon adventure' with Snowdon was the adventure of 2010. The adventure of 2011 is living in Singapore and experiencing the pleasures of Asia; warm climate, lovely food, an abundance of culture, new family and friends, and meanwhile re-adapting to living away from the delights of NZ; family, friends, fresh air, nature and a relaxed lifestyle, hence our eventual resting place.

Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Fried Rice Paradise


I sprung out of bed this morning at 6.10am and drafted up some blogs (to follow) but meanwhile I'll report on today...

Earlier this afternoon Snowdon and I took Harold out to the theatre show 'Fried Rice Paradise' (which has been recreated by Singapore Idol star Dick Lee). It was very entertaining, despite  missing many of the local jokes (even Snowdon and Harold missed some due to varying dialects used). During intermission I was such a bad ass that I was kicked out of the theatre.  I was sitting there during intermission happily eating my Mars bar and watching the usher request the big group of school kids in front of us to be quiet when the show begins again. I was smiling away approving of her request, silently agreeing that they should be quiet, when her attention (and of course that of all the school kids in front of her) swings up to me and my Mars bar.  With a big smile she gives me the cut-throat sign, but across her mouth (trying to be subtle I guess)...hmm sign language for umm....(come on Amber get the charade damn it you have the eyes of a school on you...). Oh! No food allowed.  All I could manage is "I can't eat?" and stomped/shuffled down the aisle trying to retain some dignity and get out of the limelight as fast as I could!

I'm getting new appreciation in many areas whilst trying to fit in, in a foreign country again.  I have new empathy for minorities.  Most everywhere I go I'm the only caucasian and hiccups that I'd hardly blink at in NZ, seem amplified by 1 000, because here I'm the different one!

On the way home  we stopped at West Plaza where I had my favourite local dish of Kaya toast with eggs and coffee (with condensed milk yum). Now we're having quiet time at home, while Harold packs for his month long trip to the States.  Snowdon's Uncle Juergen passed away yesterday after an extended battle with lung cancer, and Harold is going to North Carolina to be with his sister Glenna.  Snowdon and I feel really fortunate to have met Juergen before his passing and really feel for Glenna (I know what that's like). Everyone feels glad that Harold will be there with Glenna!! I don't lament for Juergen now though, as his suffering is over and I think he lived a full life :)

In contrast, life shows it's ups and downs, twists and turns, for each of us.  I had a great hour long skype conversation with Dad this morning, and I'm enjoying the last days/weeks (start date still unknown) of my very long and lovely extended honeymoon/holiday.  I plan to continue enjoying it.....


1 comment:

  1. I absolutely agree. We have to live while we're alive and appreciate our blessings. Well put Amber.

    (and I can just see you there with your Mars bar hehe. I laughed out loud when I read this sentence:"I was smiling away approving of her request, silently agreeing that they should be quiet, when her attention (and of course that of all the school kids in front of her) swings up to me and my Mars bar." LOL)

    ReplyDelete