Why this blog?

It's a vehicle for me to express and develop my thoughts, feelings, views and ideas.....publicly!
My photo
Singapore City, Singapore
An 'around the world honeymoon adventure' with Snowdon was the adventure of 2010. The adventure of 2011 is living in Singapore and experiencing the pleasures of Asia; warm climate, lovely food, an abundance of culture, new family and friends, and meanwhile re-adapting to living away from the delights of NZ; family, friends, fresh air, nature and a relaxed lifestyle, hence our eventual resting place.

Friday, September 24, 2010

Nutritious and Creative in the Kitchen - watch out Julia!

My work start date has been delayed till mid October. I've used some of the remainder of my now very extended holiday (8 months) to up-skill in the areas of Nutrition and Cooking.  I'm really enjoying learning and experimenting creatively, and our local 'Giant' supermarket 'feeds' this new interest very effectively.

Unfortunately for Snowdon, my passion lies more with fruit, vegetables, grains and seeds, than with meat, so he hasn't been quite as excited by my new dishes, although I plan to branch out and treat him a bit more, and fulfill his meal definition of 'it must contain meal to be called a meal', with meatier dishes.  I've begun with the Salmon pictured below.

The national library provided the inspiration with these great books:
  •      'You are what you eat cookbook' by Dr Gillian McKeith
'Baked Salmon with Spinach and Leeks' (in our case
broccoli stalks, which very tasty according to Snowdon)'
'Baked Salmon with Spinach and Broccoli' over
'Millet Mash (also starring Broccoli)'

  •       'Wonderfoods' by Natalie Savona
I've been the most productive from this book with: Warm Chickpea and Tomato Salad, Frozen Coco Nana Smoothie, and another three which are pictured below.

'Scented Savory Rice', with 'Home-grown Sprouts (Sunflower)'.
Note the token meat dish, tinned rendang, 

in the background (very tasty for a can!).

My favourite so far, 'Carrot and Ginger' soup.

Snowdon trying to look as excited as I was about the yummy soup.
Te he - pretty good effort :)


       'Eat Well Live Well with High Fibre' by Dr Susanna Holt 

Breakfast Deluxe


Next I'm on to 'The Kitchen Shrink' and 'Eat Well Stay Well'.  I'm feeling good with all the resulting nutrients rushing through my system.  Coupled with all the exercise we're doing, we're well on the way back to optimal health!

2 comments: